Based on your anatomy, you can get a breast implant done by cosmetic surgeons that are trained in the category of breast augmentation, also known as augmentation mammoplasty. Implants are being used since the 1960s and the choices in the types of implants are only growing by the day. There are a number of reasons as to why a woman would like to undergo breast enlargement surgery.
- It is carried out in order to restore or correct partial or complete loss of the breast(s) which happens due to certain diseases, mastectomy or trauma.
- Some women feel that it is necessary to enlarge their breasts thereby enhancing breast contour.
- Sometimes, after pregnancy, your breasts may tend to sag and go out of shape; therefore, cosmetic surgery done unto the breasts can help to restore size and shape.
- Through this surgery, breast size is corrected and it is also helpful in correcting asymmetry.
- Existing breast implants can be replaced which may be either due to cosmetic or reconstructive reasons.
- Removal of a cancerous breast.
- In order to correct congenital defects of a chest wall.
There are three main types of breast implants:
Silicone implants – In this case, the implants are filled with a viscous silicone gel. This is held within an elastomeric silicone shell. A silicone filled shell, in most cases, does not collapse. In case it bursts open, the gel either stays in the shell or escapes into the breast implant pocket. In case you choose these implants, regular visits to your cosmetic surgeon are a must.
Saline implants – These implants are filled with a sterile saline solution which is contained within an elastomeric silicone shell. These breast implants may be filled with different amounts of saline solution, depending on the feel, firmness and shape of the breasts wanted. In case of leakage of the saline solution, it is naturally expelled out from the body.
Alternative composite implants – These breast implants may be filled with polypropylene string, soy oil or any other such material.
What are the various types of enlargement procedures or approaches?
- Under the breast or infra-mammary method – this is the most common approach for a breast implant to be inserted. The incision is made in or adjacent to what is termed as, the infra-mammary crease. This approach provides the most direct route and it also requires the least amount of surgery time in order to place the implant.
- Around the nipple/peri-areola method – in this case, implants are placed by making an incision within the pigmented areola tissue. This is referred to as the peri-areola incision. This is done in order to reduce scarring on the breasts.
- Under the arm or trans-auxiliary method –incisions are made in the auxiliary area in order to avoid the placement of the scar on the breast itself. However, this incision leaves a scar on the arms, and is visible in case you wear a sleeveless dress.
- The belly-button or trans-umbilical method – This is more commonly known as TUBA (trans-umbilical breast augmentation). This approach, however, is only used in the case of saline implants.